Today was a day to highlight my pain. Pat is still out of town for work and I have to go to church with Harrison by myself. This is among my least favorite things to do. But you know how it is. You can't NOT go. Here's a play by play of how it went today:
We get there (almost) on time. Not bad considering Granmama left us :( this morning and we had to say our goodbyes before church. It's early enough to get a squishy seat in the back. Great. But we make the mistake of sitting in the middle of a row with large families on either side of us...ie: no easy way out. Harrison can do a lot of things well, and I'm so proud of him, but whispering isn't one of them. You can guess my lines: "Shhshhhh. No. We're in church. Reverent. Whisper. Quiet!" His went something like this:
After opening hymn: Claps loudly and says, "Yeaaaaaaa!"
During opening prayer: "Mommy! Mommy! Tractor Book!" "Where's new Tractor Book?"
Sacrament prayer: "Mommy, fruit 'nacks? Neeen bag (my diaper bag) fruit 'nacks?" Mind you, this is after the Bishop announced no more food in the cultural hall. We have like 300 little kids in the ward...it's just too many to keep things neat and we have to clean our own building so I guess they decided it'd be easier if there were no more eating in church. Harrison is having a hard time with this counsel.
Talk #1 (a Stake Representative): Harrison sees another little baby standing up on the bench of the pew and wants to do it too. And add jumping. But the little baby has inside shoes on, and can't really jump yet. Harrison has a hard time appreciating the differences and why I won't let him do it. I have to take him out. He's shouting, "No, no! NOOOOOO!" as we climb over the six person family to our right. I'm in steletoe boots and trying not to take out any of my friends with my heels or Harrison's flailing limbs as we leave the chapel.
After rest hymn, he stops crying long enough to clap loudly and say, "Yeaaaaaaa! Mommy, in there! Go in there!"
Now it's time for the Bishop's SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT to the ward: Harrison is screaming so loud in the mother's lounge (because I wouldn't let him back into the chapel until he was quiet, and he never got quiet) that I can't hear what the bishop's saying even with the volume turned all the way up on the room's speaker. *Sigh*
We're finally calm. He has quit asking me to "jump on pews" and "throw crayons" so we're ready to go back in.
Queue closing hymn: "YAAAAYYYY!!!"
Yeah. If anyone heard what the bishop said, please let me know next time you see me. I really wanted to know!
Who me? Cause trouble in church? Nevah!
5 comments:
The sum of Bishop's talk was: LIVE the law of sacrifice!
The only reason I heard it was Wes took Nate out for a little chat. :)
Church alone is no good. But we've learned that sitting on the edge of one of the middle pews is the key!
My heart is with you, try it with two screamers. We finally adopted the Crvn pew out in the foyer.
I love going with my parents. This week my mom had to say the prayer and as she was walking back to the pew Mimi shrieks "Good Job, Grandma!!" And everybody in the whole ward laughed.
Lucky he's a cutie pie right? :) My favorite thing about snack time in nursery is Harrison saying "I wuuuv fuoot snacks!"
That sounds just like our sundays at church!!! To the T!! I bet Sariah is lounder though!!!
a time out with stiletto boots is a time out with a little slice of heaven.
Post a Comment